Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Tuesday Night July 30th


Our hearts are broken right here at home in  Middletown we have just suffered another tragedy last week.
another young athlete right here in our hometown was taken from us  by SCA at the same young age of 12 years old. My Family has  lived through this tragedy MikeyD was gone and came back to us by the grace of God. I will never forget the feeling of loss when MikeyD was gone, He came back to us as a different MikeyD but he came back to us. Let us all pray for this little girl and her family. I called Dr.Vetter and spoke to her about  what had just happened again right here I asked her if we could bring the CHOP team  to Middletown to screen all the kids especially any kids playing sports starting with the Middle school and high school kids. I have a meeting scheduled with her This  Thursday August 1st to go over a plan to have  the CHOP team come to Middletown. It will cost money to do this if I was not so deep in debt from medical bills I would finance it myself. I spoke to a friend of mine who runs a large basketball league he is going to join me on this crusade we will raise the money to pay and have all the kids screened. I am sure I can raise some money from corporate sponsors as well. Like my good friend Dennis McGinnis said doing this will help make the Big hole in my heart a little smaller.  You will be surprised how many kids tested will be dehydrated  sometimes I feel like parents do not believe me when I speak to them about how dehydration can cause heart problems in young athletes. Some kids playing sports in the heat need 12 pints of water to keep their heart healthy.
How many kids do you know drink 12 pints of water a day ?
I spoke with Darren Sudman who lost his son  Simon to SCA he is one of the founders of Simons fund. He told me Your family is the first one I know that has endured life after SCA. I have become friends with a young boy who survived SCA and his father. He will come to the screening and talk to us about the difference between himself and MikeyD due to the response time which is critical. The only reason he is alive without brain damage is due to the fact that he was only down for a few minutes before the AED arrived. His father started CPR right away within 5 minutes they had the AED. Ten minutes is too late you only have about 8 minutes before it is too late.
 Please help me spread the word send s link to the MikeyD site to anyone you know with kids.
Mighty MikeyD is heading back to CHOP this week for a checkup and some extended testing. We will visit with everyone there who has become like an extended family to us.
MikeyD continues to fight the fight he gets up every morning at 5:55 AM to go to the Children’s Specialized Hospital for his rehab while all his friends are on summer vacation and yet  he never complains.
We believe in Miracles !!!

Please keep praying and posting for MikeyD 

10 comments:

  1. by Lori Murray
    Of course I have been thinking of Mikeyd since this tragedy, as he and your family are always in my prayers. Great idea to set up a screening. Please keep all of us posted as far as your fundraising is concerned as well as Mikeyd's progress. Love to all...Lori and Brian Murray

    ReplyDelete
  2. by Linda Verange
    Our Hearts are broken too because of the loss of this lovely little girl. We did not know her directly but that doesn't matter. We know her neighbors and best friend. Their loss is huge.
    We appreciate all your work trying to educate families and put an end to SCA!
    Prayers for all,
    Linda , Mike, & Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. by Ann Osborne
    Thanks for your updates on MikeyD and your concern for all of our children. Prayers every day for MikeyD, your family and all his caregivers. God Bless you all.
    The Osborne Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. by Anne Lettieri

    Such great work you are doing! I am continuing to pray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. by Sheila Berger
    Mike, I continue to pray for Mikey and his caregivers and family. Whenever I can, I pass along your very important message to parents and kids. And now this conversation comes up often as teams are beginning practice for the upcoming fall season. Good luck to Mikey as he continues his rehab. Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thoughts and prayers continue for Mikey, your family, and the family of that beautiful little girl.
    Carol Force

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our prayers and thoughts go out to the young girl's family and friends. And we continue to give thanks to God for the miracle of Mighty MikeyD. His daily struggles are also your struggles and I know that they have changed so many things for you and your family. Please tell me (us) what we can do to help.
    I will certainly continue to spread the message about keeping our kids hydrated, but I would like to do more. And be sure to tell MikeyD that he is in my prayers and tons of other people's prayers too! He continues to inspire so many people - people who he's never even met. I also pray that parents and coaches will be motivated and vigilant so that tragedies like those suffered by the Sudman, Mason and Doherty families will never be experienced again. With tons of love and prayers, Barbara, Bob, Robert and Allie Cassin

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son attended Five Star Basketball Camp, in Springfield Mass this past week. I was there everyday and was pleased to see that they had certified staff court side from 9 am to 9 pm every day. They also had unlimited amounts of Gatorade court side, Gatorade chewing gum, protein bars, and made the kids drink protein shakes everyday. The camp director spoke at length about the importance of keeping hydrated during orientation as well. I highly recommend the Five Star Org. for anyone thinking about sending their kid to basketball camp in the future. They have a terrific program and and a talented team of coaches who really care, keep the kids focused, motivated, and most importantly hydrated.

    Keep up the good work big Mike. You are the original "Mighty Mikey" and your son learned it all from you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praise God! MikeyD is moving forward and everyday is another day of Healing for MikeyD!! Thank you Mike for all you are doing to make us all aware of the dangers of being dehydrated!! We had 2 MikeyD Hydration Stations at our Summer Bible Camp here at Saint Marys. The kids LOVED it!! They were offered drinks the entire time they were there at camp. Whether they were going outside for games or inside for Arts and Crafts, the water was available for them to have. And pretzels too!! We also had a team of teen volunteers who would go from class to class to offer ice pops, and the children LOVED the all day stay hydrated safety idea!! I continue to pray for MikeyD to have complete Healing and for MikeyD to continue to have the Strength and the Faith to keep moving those mountains!! Lord Jesus, be with MikeyD every step of the way. Be with all of his caretakers, all of his teachers, Please Lord Jesus Heal our MikeyD and be with him in all ways!! YOU are our Great Physician! YOU are our Healer!! YOU are our Strength!! Thank YOU Jesus for our Miracle here in Middletown!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Because we live in a fallen world we all struggle with our faith at times. The Apostles were no different; even though they had the benefit of seeing Christ in the flesh they often doubted and even rebuked him.
    We have the Holy Spirit, the presence of God on earth who dwells among us and have delivered firsthand the miracle of MikeyD and yet we still struggle at times? MikeyD is not the “Rule”, he’s the exception. He’s one of the miracles God chose to put in front of our eyes to show us he is there alongside us. Just like when Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead. I have a next door neighbor who buried his sixteen year old boy a year ago. A family from our Boy Scouts is burying their thirteen year old princess this week that died from the flu this weekend.
    Rejoice that we have today because we’re not promised tomorrow. When I see MikeyD I see evidence of a living God that has spared a young man from certain death to use him to bring others into his kingdom. I still believe MikeyD is going to be bigger and stronger than he ever was one day and his testimony will be enough to move some of our lost to our Savior.

    ReplyDelete