Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Tuesday Night


A dedication to Albert Martin
I received a call yesterday regarding Albert Martin see article below this is what happened to MikeyD and everyone there at the time thought he had a seizure at first. I reached out to Dr.Vetter right away  and spoke to her regarding this tragedy and I have reached out to get in touch with the family.Alberts sister should at leat be tested right away. Some testing of Albert should be done so the family may know the cause and other kids playing basketball might be saved. This happens a lot more to kids playing basketball every year than you think just ask Dr.Vetter.
As soon as MikeyD is back on his feet I am going on a crusade and going to work with Dr. Vetter to make sure all parks where kids play basketball have an AED.
I would also like to see a law where kids playing sports have to at least get an EKG to look for an arrhythmia.
Even though it would not have helped in MikeyD’s case the EKG will help save a lot of other children.  
 I am also begging all of you again if you have kids playing sports especially Basketball this is much more common to basketball players please have them tested start with a simple EKG and also have them tested for Dehydration as well.
This story breaks my heart.
 As reported by the Newark Star-Ledger, Red Bank (N.J.) Regional High senior Albert Martin, a starting forward on the school's basketball team, collapsed during his team's Monday afternoon preseason scrimmage against Point Pleasant Beach (N.J.) High. Martin had reportedly been sitting on the bench when a timeout was called and the forward was told to get ready to return to the game. He took a sip of Gatorade, his knees buckled and he collapsed to the floor.
A school trainer who was on-site rushed to Martin's side and attempted but ultimately failed to revive him. Paramedics who arrived shortly thereafter were similarly unsuccessful, and the teenager was pronounced dead at Riverview Hospital within hours of his initial collapse.
"We knew it was bad right away," Scott Martin, the Red Bank head basketball coach (who is of no relation to the deceased) told the Star-Ledger. "His eyes rolled to the back of his head, he was having some sort of seizure."
Though there has been no official announcement about Martin's cause of death, it seems highly likely to be connected to a heart arrhythmia or another heart abnormality. Martin's mother, Tracy Dixon, confirmed that her son had never received any type of heart screening.

 May he rest in Peace !!!
God bless his Family.
please have your kids tested.

8 comments:

  1. by Irene Mc Geever
    This is so so sad. It makes us realize how very lucky we are to still have Mikey D and what a miracle we received. A miracle Albert or the Martin family was not to receive. But Gods plans are not our to know...I hope everyone takes this advice and have their kids tested for it must surely save lives and prevent such heavy heartaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I was praying just moments ago and was led to share my devotion with you, and then when I came onto the blog I wasn't sure it was appropraite with the news that you shared, so I clicked off. But I was prompted again to share it, so I'm not going to ignore what God has put on my heart. I hope it is a help to someone.

    My devotion is from "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young. Today's reading was about Jacob's dream after he ran away from his enraged brother (He stole his birthright). In the dream he is remined that God is with him. He wakes up and exclaims, "Surely the Lord is in this place, and I was not aware of it." It reminds us that when we feel distant from the Lord we can remember those words that God is surely in this place.

    Here's the Bible verses I read from today,

    Genesis 28:11-16
    11 When he reached a certain place, he stopped for the night because the sun had set. Taking one of the stones there, he put it under his head and lay down to sleep. 12 He had a dream in which he saw a stairway resting on the earth, with its top reaching to heaven, and the angels of God were ascending and descending on it. 13 There above it[a] stood the Lord, and he said: “I am the Lord, the God of your father Abraham and the God of Isaac. I will give you and your descendants the land on which you are lying. 14 Your descendants will be like the dust of the earth, and you will spread out to the west and to the east, to the north and to the south. All peoples on earth will be blessed through you and your offspring.[b] 15 I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.”

    16 When Jacob awoke from his sleep, he thought, “Surely the Lord is in this place, and I was not aware of it.”

    So sorry for the loss of Albert Martin. I will pray for the Martin family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another tragedy..Lord, help us to protect our children..May the Angels lead Albert into Paradise and Please Lord console Alberts Family..We lift them up to You Lord..Please Heal their Hearts...as we know we can only imagine the heartache..Lord Jesus, We thank you once again for the Miracle of our Mighty MikeyD and we thank You for this amazing family who will help save other lives...May we all do what we need to do now that we have this information and now that we see what is happening to our children who play sports..especially basketball..Prayers and More Prayers for Albert and his family...Prayers and More Prayers May their broken hearts be healed...May thier Faith in You hold them together..May they feel Your Love ..May they let YOU carry them through the darkness into the light..Please God..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I immediately thought about how blessed we all are to have MikeyD with us here on earth. My thoughts and prayers are with the Martin Family. I agree, one of the few things we can do is to make use of modern medicine to try to find these problems before another tragedy like this occurs. And I hope the Martin Family is felling the love of the whole community that is praying for them during this impossibly difficult time.
    -Barbara Cassin

    ReplyDelete
  5. by Pauline Hynes
    Mike that is so heartbreaking. It's a real reminder of how fortunate we are to have MikeyD with us, and fighting so hard. God Bless Albert Martin and his family. If there was to be a reason for Mikey's illness... this is it. An advocate for this kind of screening is clearly needed. You won't be alone in your crusade either. Our love to you all, Mike, Pauline Michael & Ethan xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I first saw this, I immediately thought of Mikey D and how lucky we are to have him with us AND have him fighting the way he is. My heart absolutely breaks for this family, I simply cannot imagine that type of loss. Hats of to you Big Mike, for the crusade you will start that will prevent other children from experiencing this type of illness, or even death. As always, sending good thoughts to all of you. Love, the Gervase Family

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two of my kids have appointments to have their hearts screened this Tuesday. Thank you for educating us on how to protect our children.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Big Mike,
    Great photos! Love to read about all your moments with MikeyD. CJ and Evelyn did have their wellness exams on Monday along with EKGs. Sure enough CJ's came back with an arrythmia. Praise God it was benign and after a stress test, echo sonogram, holter device, he has been cleard to continue playing sports. I sure hope more people who are following the blog take the time to get a heart screening for their kids. God is good and kind. We continue to pray for you all.
    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete