Monday, April 21, 2014

Monday April 21st

I am very sorry to have to do this post tonight.  I really could not believe the call I received from Dr. Vetter the other day when she told me the bad news. She told me weeks ago that they have never had a response like this for any screening that they have ever done before. they asked me to stop talking to people about the screening and said whoever I was talking to about the Heart Screening for kids were listening. they usually only get 100 to 150 kids sign up for a screening in any area. We had filled all the appointments in a day and a half after the web site was opened and they had to shut it down. We had 382 kids signed up for the screening and 150 kids on the waiting list. Unfortunately for this Saturday they could not get enough EKG and Echo techs scheduled to work to cover all the kids we had she said every family would be waiting for over three hours in line just to get through the screening and we still would not get to the 382 already signed up. She has promised me that we will screen all 532 kids on the new date. I will let everyone know as soon as possible after I have the new date. My family and the Dolan Family have worked very hard on putting this screening together and raising Funds from sponsors to pay for the screening. We will have more time now to raise funding for the extra 150 kids. I am ashamed and embarrassed that they  had to reschedule this screening. I feel like I have let everyone down.
I would like  to sincerely apologize to everyone and I hope you will understand this was totally out of my control. I am very sorry. I promise you we will screen all 532 kids. My good friend Barbara tried to make me feel better and brought up a very good positive thought she said the new date will screen the other 150 kids and a few of them may just be the kids that really needed it and will be saved from the screening.
Please forward the link for www.mightymikeyd.com  to as many people as you can via Facebook etc so they will know that this Saturday we will not be at St.Marys/Mater Dei and they can be on the lookout for the new date.
Meanwhile please keep MikeyD in your prayers for his recovery to continue. We believe in the power of prayer especially in numbers the more the better.
God grant me the serenity 
to accept the things I cannot change; 
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
****Please see letter below from CHOP****
Due to the overwhelming response to the Heart Health Screening on April 26th at St. Mary’s Mater Dei High School in Middletown, NJ, we are going to postpone our screening until the fall of 2014 to accommodate a larger number of children.  We apologize for the delay and look forward to seeing you in the fall.

For those of you who have completed the Heart Health Questionnaire, we will securely maintain your information.  We will e-mail you approximately 4 weeks prior to the next screening date to allow you to choose another appointment time for the next screening and give us an update on your child’s health history. 
Thank you for your understanding.

The Heart Health Screening Study Team:  Dr. Victoria Vetter, Noreen Dugan, and Danielle Haley
For any additional questions, please call/e-mail Noreen Dugan.
Noreen P. Dugan, RN, BSN, CCRC, HP(ASCP)
Clinical Project Manager
Clinical Trials Office
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
3535 Market Street, Office #1048
Philadelphia, Pa.  19104
Telephone - 267-426-5247
Beeper - 215-590-1000   Pager# - 21890
Fax - 267-426-8134
We Believe in Miracles !!!
Please keep praying and posting for MikeyD !!!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Mike and Moya - I know you are both disappointed and upset, but I can see where having 3+ times the number of expected kids would have made for a terribly frustrating day if YHW/CHOP had tried to go ahead with the screenings this Saturday. As soon as Dr. Vetter and her team determine the new date - I'll be happy to help in any way. Please let this audience know if Dr. Vetter provides all the EKG and Echo techs -- if they can be recruited from the Middletown area, then I'll ask every Nurse I know whether or not they have that training and if they can help. In the meantime, Mighty MikeyD and your whole family are in our thoughts and prayers!! -Barbara, Bob, Robert and Allie Cassin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes EKG and Echo techs can be from this area.
    Dr. Vetter will read all testing results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. by Linda Verange
    You have opened everyone eyes. That at times is the hardest thing to do. Two years ago no one would have bothered getting screened.
    The new date might save one more kid's life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. by Fran Taylor
    I am a true believer in "everything happens for a reason". Now a 150 more children will get this valuable screening. I will be there whenever they decide on the new date. Good job Doherty Family!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. by Dina Larsen
    Please do not feel bad about the date change, it is because of your hard work and effort that 532 kids will be screened, that is amazing!! I agree that all things happen for a reason so I say, let's thank our Lord in advance for the reason (that we don't know, but He does) for the change. Know that many parents are thankful for all that you have done. God bless you, your whole family and all involved in this event.

    ReplyDelete
  6. by Peggy Dunne
    You are doing everything you can to raise awareness and offer everyone screening! You have no control over the numbers of techs that will be available, some things are not ours to control!! We know you are doing everything you can for the GOOD of us all! It's all in Gods hands! It's His plan, not ours! Trust in Him, give Him all your cares and concerns and know that it will all be as it should be!! Thank you for caring about our children being screened! MikeyD is in my prayers!! It was great seeing him on his way into mass the other day!! I thank God everyday for the miracle of MikeyD!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. by Noreen Heaney
    To the Doherty Family thank you for what you have done for your community. The overwhelming response that the heart health screening received just shows you a snap shot of how many lives that MikeyD has touched and possible saved by his struggle. It has only been postponed and has nothing to do with you personally. You have organized this tremendous event and the only hitch was that to many people have become aware of this problem. That is wonderful!!!! Look at how many people are aware that were not before.Thank you from the bottom of my heart for Mikey and his family sharing his struggle and fight with all of us. Without the Doherty family we all would not be aware of the need for our children to have EKG/Echo. Thank you, thank you. God Bless Mikey and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The work you are doing for our community is amazing and so appreciated by all. I will be there to assist in anyway I can.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete